Start Updating knob tube wiring yourself

Updating knob tube wiring yourself

The oldest residential wiring is called knob and tube wiring.

It is not unusual to find all new wiring at the breaker panel and old knob and tube wiring for the lighting circuits on the top floor of the home. Installations have to be evaluated on a caseby-case basis.

Safety usually depends on the history of modifications and upgrades Most home insurance companies will not write new policies on homes with knob and tube wiring.

If you are already living in the home and have a policy, you can simply have an electrician evaluate the system and correct any deficiencies.

Is it safe to run a metal fishtape through a wall that may have 80 year old K&T in it?

I did a bathroom remodel and needed new wiring installed since the old wire was knob and tube and tied into all the lights into the house.

They electrician gave me a parts list to buy so I could save money.

I have an old house, built in 1920, which still has a lot of old "knob and tube" wiring left in certain parts of it.